Mr. Lodge GmbH · Barer Str. 32 · 80333 München · 089 340 823-0 · info@mrlodge.de

Popular sightseeing locations in Munich


Selection:

Allianz Arena

full screen
full screen
full screen
3
Allianz Arena

Allianz Arena

Since its opening in 2005, the Allianz Arena has already become a Munich landmark. The stadium in the north of Munich was designed to be a football arena, exclusively. It offers seats for up to 70,000 visitors and serves as the venue for FC Bayern’s and TSV 1860 München’s home matches. In addition to the football field, the Allianz Arena also houses a café, a cinema, and an FC Bayern exhibition. Daily tours allow visitors to get a glimpse behind the scenes of the stadium and the FC Bayern museum. The Allianz Arena is also known for its characteristic façade made of foil air panels, which can be illuminated individually and in different colors, according to the occasion. A visit to the Allianz Arena is a must for any football fan!

Contact

Phone: 089 699 312 22
Website: www.allianz-arena.de


Alter Peter

full screen
full screen
2
Alter Peter

Alter Peter

Before the city of Munich was founded, there was already a small chapel on the "Petersbergl" (Peter's hill), which was replaced at the beginning of the 11th century by the romantic style Peterskirche (Peter's church). In the 13th century a new gothic church was built, which was constantly rebuilt and changed in style over the years. During World War II, the church was so badly damaged that the repair work lasted until 1975. The Renaissance tower "Alter Peter" (Old Peter) is, along with the Frauentürmen (Ladies Towers), considered a Munich landmark. 302 wooden steps must be climbed to reach the viewing platform and enjoy a wonderful view over Munich. This legendary church is home to many art treasures from various eras, such as the gothic altar by Schrenk, the baroque baptismal font by Kumpur, or the roccoco side altars by Ignatz Günther.

Contact

Phone: 089 210 237 76-0
Website: www.erzbistum-muenchen.de/Pfarrei/St-Peter-Muenchen


BAVARIA FILMTOUR

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
13
Bavaria Filmtour

BAVARIA FILMTOUR

A tour through the original sets of popular movies is an exciting experience for young and old: during this 1.5 hour tour, visitors can visit the Gallic village of the legendary Asterix, walk through the corridors of the space ship from "Enemy Mine", crawl through the original submarine from the film "The Boat", go through the locations of TV-series, or ride on the back of the lucky dragon "Falkor" from the "NeverEnding Story", while learning interesting details about the production and the casts of world famous movies and popular TV-series.

Specials

  • "Showscan" cinema - You will experience exciting trips through space or underground tunnels (on seats that move with the motion of the film).
  • "Action Show" - The "Bavarian Stunt Team" will show you the story of a turbulent jailbreak (including burning people & fistfights). Learn why the actors do not get hurt during their stunts.

Contact

Phone: 089 649 920 00
Website: www.bavaria-filmtour.de


Bavaria und Ruhmeshalle

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
8
Bavaria

Bavaria und Ruhmeshalle

King Ludwig I commissioned the construction of the 18 meter tall, Roman style statue, which was meant to communicate Bavarian and German strength. Using a design by the sculptor Ludwig Schwanthaler, it was cast by Ferdinand von Miller between 1844 - 1850 from 1500 hundredweight of bronze recovered from cannons sunk during sea battles. The result is a fine specimen of Germanic womanhood with a laurel wreath in her left hand and a lion on a leash in her right. Inside, a spiral staircase leads to the top from where visitors have a wonderful view of the Wiesn (Octoberfest grounds) and the city. King Ludwig I also commissioned the U-shaped, marble, doric columned hall built by Leo von Klenze between 1843 and 1853, on a small hill by Theresienwiese. The Hall of Fame houses busts of important Bavarians and frames the statue of Bavaria.

Contact

Phone: 089 290 671
Website: www.muenchen.de/sehenswuerdigkeiten/orte/120453.html


BMW Welt

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
7
BMW-Welt und Museum

BMW Welt

BMW World opened its doors to the public in 2007. It is a customer experience facility and exhibition space, as well as a distribution center of the BMW group. In the sweeping exhibition areas the visitors can experience a large variety of different vehicles produced by BMW, Mini, Rolls Royce, and others first hand. Customers can pick up the car they ordered in the very special environment of the distribution center.

Contact

Phone: 089 125 016 001
Website: www.bmw-welt.com/de.html

Opening Times


Botanischer Garten

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
8
Botanischer Garten

Botanischer Garten

The old botanical garden, founded in 1809 in the city center, was no longer able to exist after having slowly given up much of its grounds. Hence, it was moved to the outskirts of town in 1914, next to the Nymphenburg palace grounds. It encompasses approx. 22 hectares, 4500 square meters of which are located under the glass roofs of its various greenhouses. The garden is especially beautiful in the spring, when the trees are in full bloom and tulips and daffodils adorn the borders of the lily ponds. Later followed by the flowers of the rose garden and the rhododendron grove. The Alpinum, where one can admire edelweiss and gentian, is also worth seeing. At the picturesque ponds squirrels cavort under the various, well-labeled trees. The café-restaurant with a view of the rose garden and the "Schmuckhof" is open during the botanical garden's opening hours.

Contact

Phone: 089 178 613 16
Website: www.botmuc.de/de


Englischer Garten

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
14
Englischer Garten - Südteil

Englischer Garten

History: In 1789, at the height of the French Revolution, the Electoral Prince Karl Theodor ordered the construction of a public park on the banks of the river Isar, in oder to reduce the dissatisfaction among the people. The populace were enthusiastic about the spacious garden, laid out in the English style, imitating the natural flora without decorative plants and trimming. Today, covering approximately 4 km², it is one of the largest urban public parks in the world. From early morning until late at night, the park is filled with joggers, horse-back-riders, bikers, baby carriages, dogs, and lovers. Especially on sunny days, the southern part of the garden is full of life: sunbathers make themselves comfortable on the meadows alongside the stream, the "Eisbach", or refresh themselves by taking a short swim. In the south, surfers train on - and in - the cold water. One can watch the lively scene of musicians, ice-cream-vendors, ball- or frisbee players, Brazilian capoeira dancers, and jugglers on foot, in a horse-drawn carriage, or on a rickshaw-tour. The small, round temple "Monopterus" stands out. Further to the north, one can join tourists and locals around the Chinese tower, to enjoy a "Maß" of Bavarian beer to the sound of a traditional brass band. Those who prefer a more elegant atmosphere, can visit the beer garden at "Seehaus" or feed the swans, geese, and ducks from a rowing boat. The northern part of the English Garden is more peaceful, making it ideal for those who prefer to simply take a quiet walk or relax on the grass.

Contact

Phone: 089 386 663 90

Address

80538 München


Frauenkirche

full screen
full screen
2
Frauenkirche

Frauenkirche

"Cathedral of Our Dear Lady". The almost 100 meter tall towers of this late gothic brick building, erected between 1468 - 1488 by Jörg von Hasbach, are Munich's most famous landmark. Its mighty saddle roof towers above the rest of the old city. After being badly damaged and plundered during the war, the cathedral was renovated in several stages. The south tower, which is open to the public, has a wonderful view of the city with the Alps in the background. Inside the cathedral, there are many art treasures, such as the late 14th century choir windows, which were part of the original church, the Apostol and Prophet statues by Erasmus Grasser, or the 18th century gilded reliefs of scenes from the life of Mariens by Ignaz Günther. The crypt under the choir stalls houses the oldest graves of the Wittelsbach family, including that of Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian. Legend has it that the Devil demanded that the cathedral be built without windows. As he came to inspect the building, he left a footprint in the entrance. Through an architectural trick there are no windows visible from this "devils footprint", so that the devil was satisfied and left.

Contact

Phone: 089 290 08 20
Website: www.muenchner-dom.de


Kloster Andechs

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
5
Kloster Andechs

Kloster Andechs

The Monastery
The monks in Andechs have been brewing their own beer for over 500 years, more specifically since 1455. The traditional place of pilgrimage, located on the "holy mountain" on the eastern shore of Lake Ammersee, is a popular destination for tourists. Many of them also visit the beautiful rococo monastery church, which is the last resting place of the famous German composer Carl Orff.
 
The beer garden
The Andechser dark beer and the slightly stronger, so-called "Doppelbock" are legendary. Those who would like to try the "Animator", or "Salvator", the holy beers that used to help the monks through fasting, should visit during the week, as they are not served on weekends - the steep descent is best managed sober. Those not fond of strong beers, can enjoy a non-alcoholic beer with their Bavarian snack - Brotzeit - to mentally prepare for the way down.
 
Children can enjoy themselves on a large adventure playground, located approximately halfway up the mountain. Whether "junior" is capable of walking the rest of the way and climbing the 222 steps to the beer garden is questionable. Maybe it would be better to take the S-Bahn to Herrsching and then the bus to Andechs.

Contact

Phone: 081 523 760
Website: www.andechs.de


Königsplatz

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
5
Königsplatz

Königsplatz

This neo-classical square was built by the architect Leo von Klenze between 1817 and 1862, on the orders of King Ludwig I. In the north, one can find the corinthian-style Glyptothek, to the south, there is the ionic-style building housing the State Collection of Antiques, and in the west, there is the doric-style Propyläen gateway, which is based on the gates of the Acropolis in Athens and serves as a memorial to the Greek war of independence. Together, they form the "Athens on the Isar", a wonderful temple for the arts. The Nazis paved the previously grass covered square to use it for parades and party meetings. A monument, which had been erected in the east commemorating the victims of the putsch in 1923, was destroyed in 1945. The square was then used as a parking space until it was finally grassed over again in 1988. Today, this grandiose square is used as a backdrop for open-air concerts, operas, and movie showings during the summer months.


KZ-Gedenkstätte Dachau

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
13
KZ in Dachau

KZ-Gedenkstätte Dachau

In 1933, Heinrich Himmler established the first German concentration camp in Dachau. The rules and organisation, as well as the separation of high security prisoners and an SS-command area, set up by the first camp commander Theodor Eicke were later used as a model for all further German concentration camps. In the beginning, political opponents of the regime were imprisoned here, followed later by various groups such as Jews, homosexuals, Sinti and Roma, or clergymen, mainly from the occupied eastern countries. The camp, which was originally planned for only 5.000 prisoners, eventually held as many as 200.000 people over the 12 years that it was in use. The prisoners were forced to work - mostly in the German armaments industry - under barbaric conditions or were abused for experiments on humans. Well over 30.000 people were killed or died on transports, through epidemics, torture, or mass executions. On the 29th of April 1945, the Dachau concentration camp was liberated by units of the US Army. After the war, the camp was turned into a memorial. In addition to visiting the prisoners' quarters, the crematorium, and the bunker, one can also see many pictures and film documentaries.

Specials

  • Other memorials
  • Camp cemetery "KZ-Friedhof auf der Leiten "
  • SS-rifle range Hebertshausen where thousands of Soviet prisoners of war were executed

Contact

Phone: 081 316 699 70
Website: www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de


Marienplatz und Rathaus

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
4
Marienplatz

Marienplatz und Rathaus

Marienplatz
This square, previously called Schrannenplatz, has been the heart of the city since Munich was founded. It was a salt- and grain market, a tournament arena, and a place of execution. A fish market was held near the Fischbrunnen (fish fountain), which is worth seeing. Nowadays, locals and tourists throng here to shop or take a stroll. The 11-meter Mariensäule (Mary's column) was built to fulfil a vow made by Electoral Prince Maximilian in 1638, after Munich and Landshut were saved from pillaging by the Swedish. It is considered to be the center of the city and is therefore not just a popular meeting place - all distances are measured from here.
 
Old Town Hall
In 1447, the Old Town Hall was built in gothic style, while the tower was built from one of the old city gates. Lovers still bring flowers to the charming statue of Juliet under the archway - a present from Munich's sister city of Verona.
 
New Town Hall
The Swiss architect Hauberisser built the monumental, neo-Gothic brick building between 1867 and 1908 with 6 inner courtyards. The interior of the building is just as magnificent as the facade. The stained glass window depicting the "Patrona Bavariae" (Mary as patron of Munich), the Law Library, and the "Kleine Sitzungssaal" (small council chamber) are well worth visiting.
 
Glockenspiel
Every day at 11.00 am and 12.00 am (between March and October also at 5.00 pm), the world famous Town Hall Glockenspiel shows scenes from Munich's history: on the upper level, the marriage of Duke Willhelm V to Renata of Lorraine (in 1558), complete with jousting tournament, is represented, while the lower level shows the Schäfflertanz (the coopers' dance) in memory of the plague of 1517.

Contact

Website: www.marienplatz.de


Maximilianeum

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
6
Maximilianeum

Maximilianeum

King Maximilian II. created Maximilianstraße according to his vision, much like his father, Ludwig I, had done with Ludwigstraße. Today, the upper part of Maximilianstraße, from the National Theater to the Altstadtring, is Munich's poshest shopping street. The street's crowing glory is the Maximilianeum, located on the banks of the river Isar. It was built between 1857 and 1874 by architect Friedrich Bürklein, in a new style that combined elements of the English and Dutch Gothic and the Italian Renaissance styles. Since 1874, the building houses the Maximilianeum foundation that awards scholarships to gifted students. Since 1949, the front part of the building is the seat of the Bavarian Parliament. The collection of historical paintings in the Maximilianeum is also remarkable. Unfortunately, they are hung haphazardly about the building and are sometimes badly lit.

Contact

Website: www.maximilianeum.de


Odeonsplatz

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
9
Odeonsplatz und die fünf Höfe

Odeonsplatz

This majestic square is located at one end of the splendid Ludwigstraße, built in 1816 by Leo von Klenze on the orders of King Ludwig I, as the "Street of the Sciences". The square, in which Hitler's putsch failed in 1923, is surrounded by important buildings in various styles; the Feldherrnhalle (Field Marshals' hall), the Theatinerkirche (Theatiner church), the Residenz (Munich Residence), the Odeon, and the Leuchtenberg-Palais. The equestrian statue for Ludwig I was erected in 1848, after his abdication because of the Lola-Montez-Affair.


Olympiagelände

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
12
Olympiapark

Olympiagelände

The 3 km² Olympic park was built for the Olympic Summer Games in 1972, on a former military drill ground called "Oberwiesenfeld" that had also been used as Munich's first civil airport. Over a four year period, thousands of craftsmen worked to turn the rubble left by the second world war into an attractive, hilly landscape with an artificial lake, paths, and impressive buildings, such as the delicate, light swung, pavilion-roof that spans the Olympic stadium, the Olympic hall, and the indoor pool. The idea that the area should be usable after the Olympic games, was well-implemented: the Olympic village is largely student housing, the stadium and the Olympic hall serve as event venues, and the park and the swimming pools are a popular recreational area for Munich's citizens. Plans to fully cover the Olympic stadium to meet the latest international standards for the Football World Cup in 2006 were dropped in favour of architectural aesthetics. Instead, a new stadium was built for Munich's famous football team "FC Bayern München". You can do a lot more than just take long walks in the Olympic park - rowing boats on the Olympic lake, concerts, sport events, conventions and balls in the Olympic hall, roller- and ice skating, free climbing, and the beautiful indoor pools with saunas, diving platform, five swimming pools and a large lawn for sun bathing, offer diverse recreational activities for young and old. Don't miss out on a visit to the 290m-tall Olympic tower. Two high-speed elevators take visitors to the viewing platform and the revolving restaurant, to enjoy the beautiful view - on nice days as far as the Alps - and the excellent cuisine.

Contact

Phone: 089 306 70
Website: www.olympiapark-muenchen.de


Tierpark Hellabrunn

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
19
Tierpark Hellabrunn

Tierpark Hellabrunn

The world's first Geo-Zoo was built in 1911, on the grounds of the small Hellabrunn palace. It lies harmoniously embedded in the landscape conservation area on the banks of the river Isar. Visitors can watch the animals in large compounds in their natural living conditions, mostly without any annoying gates or bars. Highlights include the aquarium, especially the piranha-feeding, the aviary with storks, the polarium, the new monkey-house, and the street of ants in the giant tortoise compound next to the jungle-tent with big cats. Refreshments are available at several snack bars or at the restaurant with adjoining beer garden. A visit to the zoo is especially fun for children: In addition to the petting zoo, there are two playgrounds, a carousel, horse-back and camel riding, seal and elephant shows, free-roaming peacocks and small monkeys, as well as a talking raven.

Contact

Phone: 089 625 080
Website: www.tierpark-hellabrunn.de


Viktualienmarkt

full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
full screen
9
Viktualienmarkt

Viktualienmarkt

In 1807 King Maximilian I moved the food market from Marienplatz, which had become too small, to the area between the Heilig-Geist-Kirche (Holy Ghost Church) and Frauenstraße. The marketplace was rebuilt after being badly damaged during the war. Gourmets can find a feast for the senses here every morning, with a wide selection of high-quality delicacies from all over the world. Whether it's meat, fish, cheese, honey, flowers, or organic fruit and vegetables, Viktualienmarkt has it all. Under the maypole, in the shade of the chestnut trees, there are cozy beer gardens, cafés, and stalls where you can enjoy local delicacies such as Obazda (Bavarian cheese spread), Weißwürste (Bavarian white sausages) and Brathänchen (broiled chicken).

Contact

Phone: 089 890 682 05
Website: www.viktualienmarkt.de